You can’t neatly package and control everything, but you can use good judgment and not over react when thinking about hepatitis B transmission. HBV is not casually transmitted, but you know yourself, and both infected and uninfected individuals can take simple precautions. If you don’t have hepatitis B and you are sexually active, make sure you are vaccinated. If you have HBV, encourage your partners to get vaccinated.
(Click here if you’re looking for Part 1) Continue reading
HBF is pleased to connect our blog readers to Christine Kukka’s monthly HBV Journal Review that she writes for the HBV Advocate. The journal presents the
latest in hepatitis B research, treatment, and prevention from recent academic and medical journals. This month, the following topics are explored:
- Cholesterol and Type 2 Diabetes Drugs Markedly Lower Cancer Risk in Hepatitis B Patients
- Hepatitis B Increases Risk of Stomach Cancer
- Unsafe Injections Caused 1.7 Million HBV Infections Worldwide in 2010
- New Guidelines Require Doctors to Screen for Hepatitis B Before Starting Chemotherapy
- Computer Reminders Effective at Prompting Doctors to Screen for HBV Before Starting Chemotherapy
- Study Finds Getting Frequent Cancer Screenings Saves Lives
- Use of Radio Waves to Destroy Small Liver Tumors as Effective as Surgery
- Interferon Increases Thyroid Disease in Hepatitis B and C Patients
- Smoking Impairs Recovery from Hepatitis B and the Effectiveness of Immunization
- Hepatitis B Immunization Coverage Declined 2.1% in 2013
The chimera mutation is common to all fibrolamellar tissue. The mythological chimera is part lion, part goat, and part serpent. Original Chimera illustration by Jessica Guercia Design by Deborah Corrigan Visual Arts | DeborahCorriganVA.com.
February 28 is Rare Disease Day.
Last year, we featured the story of Gail Trecosta, who described how her teenage son Matthew was bravely battling a rare form of liver cancer called fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma (FHC).
This year we are featuring FHC again but with a renewed sense of urgency and purpose. Continue reading